Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Teachable Moment

 
_______________________________________________________________
Mistakes Make for Excellent Lessons. 

I thought I would share one of mine; especially since it is relative the last tutorial: Finishing Touches.

While working with all of the loose ends and wisps of tails on the back side of my Winter Sampler 2014, the mantra by which I worked, at some point, decided to take a coffee break without inviting me.

In some places I was fine with simply tying a Square Knot.  But in most I wove in the ends using either a fine gauge crochet hook, or large eye needle.



*If a picture is all you need click on the image above for a Slide Show
First off I wove in all the thread tails created while working the Beaded Round.  I have any number of vintage steel hooks from which to choose.
I simply pulled the tails through the previous rounds of weaving.  And then secondly, I checked the front side each time before I cut the thread waste. All to make sure nothing showed through that I did not want seen. 

Always. 
 
Always, always, ALWAYS!

 
Special Note: For a larger view of an individual photo:
Right Click on the photo and chose either
Open link in new tab -or- Open link in new window
 
As I worked with the Lily Sugar n Cream Cotton yarn, dividing the heavier gauge four ply into two strands [two ply each] made it much easier to needle weave the ends. Each time checking on the front side to make sure nothing showed. 
It was when I got to Gold Metallic Thread Round that the separate Coffee Breaks transpired!

*Right Click photo to choose a larger image.
Using the large eye needle here as well, I easily wove in the ends, and cut as usual.  But somehow I ended up sidetracked, or disengaged.
This is what I did; which seems just fine from this vantage point. [See Graphic above.]  But I forgot that this was the back side of the Bullion Round.

This is exactly what I did not want to see.  The Bullion Round offers absolutely no coverage.  I managed to do the double check.  My mistake was in not doing so before I took the final action.
 
So?  Always, always, ALWAYS! check the front side of your weaving before you cut your thread waste on the back side.
 


I'll fix it.  But I'll have much shorter ends from which to do so. And it will mean I'll likely take a needle and thread and hand stitch them into place.
 
Mistakes are but one valuable way in which we learn.  They can, at times, make a process frustrating.  But they always have the power to make us grow.  Always.
 
http://heartsongstudio2.blogspot.com/2016/02/services-rendered-wish-list.html
___________________________________________
Leave any questions you may have in the Comments. 
Or Facebook Friends can Private Message me.
 
Bye for now, and Blessings~
 
And Happy Weaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment